Felicia's Pesto Pasta

Italian Sausage and Basil Pesto Penne

Last time I was with my niece, Felicia, she cooked dinner for us and this dish has become one of my favorites.  I watched her make it but was surprised there is no written recipe because she created it.  I just had to write it down, at least the way I remember it, so there is a record.

I should have taken a picture, but I ate it all before I thought about it!  Maybe next time.

Here goes.

Ingredients:
Italian sausage, crumbled
Pesto
garlic
sliced black olives
sliced green olives
lots of olive oil
spaghetti pasta
shredded mozarella or parmesan cheese

1.  put a pan of water on the stove and bring to a boil to cook the pasta.

2.  brown the Italian sausage.  Use 1# when cooking for four, but for the two of us, I used about half a pound.

3.  Once sausage is cooked, pour it into a bowl and set aside.  There is no need to drain.  The Italian sausage I use has very little grease.

4.  In the same skillet (because I don't dirty any more ans than I have to) cover the bottom with olive oil over low to medium heat.  Add a generous tablespoon of chopped garlic.  Then, add a couple of tablespoons of pesto, scooping up some of the oil in the jar. 

5.  Add as many olives as you want.  I get more generous with them each time.

6.  Once the pasta is cooked, drain it, and add the pasta to the pan of olive oil mixture.

7.  Next, add the Italian sausage back into the pan and toss.

8.  Place portions on plates to serve.    If you want, add shredded mozarella or parmesan cheese.

Enjoy all of the deliciousness!

If you're vegetarian or even vegan, you could eliminate the sausage and cheese and it would still be good.

YUM.

Thank you, Felicia!!




Comments